Monday, October 8, 2012

Scrapping Stamping Card Creator Die Cuts Review

Happy Monday everyone.  I know I was gone for a bit.  Had to head back to NYC to get some documents from the Brasilian consulate for my green card here.  But I am back now with lots of projects screaming to get out of my head.

Today I am excited to be giving an overview and review of some new dies by Spellbinders, under the Card Creator line, designed by my good friend, Cindy Echtinaw, who owns and runs Stamping Scrapping.  Cindy and I have been online/email/phone call friends for a few years now.  We have never met in person but I love talking with her.  She's had her ups and downs but is an amazingly strong woman.  Probably the strongest woman I know.  And I am thrilled at having the chance the use her designs in many of my projects!!

Let me begin here, in the spirit of full disclosure, that, although Cindy is a friend of mine, I was not paid or compensated in any way to do any review, to promote, or to do any projects.  I have personally used these dies and even carry them in my store in Brasil - and only promote or talk about stuff that I feel is worth talking about.

That said....


When Cindy hinted to me of these dies and what they would do for the papercrafter, my first thought was "about time someone did".  LOL.  I don't know about you but no matter how many paper cutters I use, none ever give me a complete perfect straight line, let alone trying to cut rectangles or squares so they nest perfectly.  Being a card maker, I had thought for years that it would be great if a nesting die was released so the papercrafter would be able to nest perfect layers upon each other - in the perfect card and photo sizes.  These dies do it for me!!

Today I will be talking about the dies, showing some pics, and giving some info on what to do when you get them.  Starting this Wednesday (October 10, 2012) and the following 3 Wednesdays (October 17th, 24th, and 31st), I will be uploading projects that I have done using these dies and some others.

To start with, there are two sets for the cardmaker - "A2 Matting Basics A" and "A2 Matting Basics B".    Each set has increments of 1/4" from die to die, and when you combine the two sets together, the dies will have an increment of 1/8".   Very cool depending on how you want to layer - giving you two options.

A2 Matting Basics A


Basics A set has 8 dies measuring: (1) 1 1/8" x 2 3/8", (2) 1 5/8" x 2 7/8", (3) 2 1/8" x 3 3/8", (4) 2 5/8" x 3 7/8", (5) 3 1/8" x 4 3/8", (6) 3 5/8" x 4 7/8", (7) 4 1/8" x 5 3/8", and (8) a long rectangle 3 7/8" x 3/4".  


A2 Matting Basics B
Basics B set has 9 dies measuring: (1) 7/8" x 2 1/8", (2) 1 3/8" x 2 5/8", (3) 1 7/8" x 3 1/8", (4) 2 3/8" x 3 5/8", (5) 2 7/8" x 4 1/8", (6) 3 3/8" x 4 5/8", (7) 3 7/8" x 5 1/4", (8) Long Rectangle SM: 3 3/8" x 1/2", and (9) Long Rectangle LG: 3 7/8" x 1".

The first thing I did when I got my packages was to take a sharpie marker and mark A or B on a corner of each of the dies.  This way, if the sets get separated or thrown together (which they will), I will know which die goes with each set.  



Sets "A" and "B" labeled.

The photos below show the dies nested within each other and on the other side shows the layers giving you that 1/4" border between layers. 

Set "A" showing 1/4" increments between the dies.


Set "B" showing 1/4" increments between the dies.
If you combine both sets A and B, you end up with a 1/8" increment, or border, between each die and layer.  Below is a photo showing both sets layered.  One layer is in white, the next in black.  


Sets "A" and "B" combined giving a 1/8" increment or border between the dies and your layers.
What I really love about these sets are that I do not need to measure or think about what size my layers are going to be.  These dies are beyond perfect for photos - whether on a card or in a scrapbook layout.  Photos are always layered and these dies just take the thinking out of it for you.  Die cut your image and you know that the next size up is going to layer perfectly behind that photo.  Not matter how many layers you want to add, it will work each time.  Stress free.  

As for making cards, I hardly ever just stamp and image on a white card, color, and send.  I always start with a stamped image on a piece of white cardstock and then layer this on top of colored cardstocks or printed papers.  Using these dies are perfect for layering!!  No measuring, no checking to see if your lines are straight.  Just cut and go!!

I hope this info helps you out.  These dies are very innovative.  And, yes, some people will tell me that other companies have dies like this.  Maybe.  But the quality of the Spellbinder die outweighs the others.  Whether you are a stamper, card maker, a scrapper, or an altered artist or book maker - I think you will be grabbing these dies all the time in your work.  

Come back again on Wednesday when I will have a card uploaded, and a few more for the next few days after that.  I also have some projects for photos and some home decor/gift ideas.    

Hope you come back and feel free to leave me a comment!!

~ Michael



6 comments:

  1. card creators are really great!! all crafters should have them!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like there is another stuff to pu on my wish list. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael
    Thanks so much for an Wonderful Review.
    From the very first moment you shopped my store years & years ago I found a great friend and have adopted you as the brother I couldn only dream of having! You are not only amazingly talented but a wonderful person who I adore inside and out!
    Thanks from my heart
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you do with these dies. I have wanted them since Cindy first talked of them and hope to be able to purchase some soon. It will be great to see some projects and get some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent! (As usual. :-P )

    ReplyDelete

Crafty Elves Countdown to Christmas - March 2023 - Christmas Fishes

  Hello everyone.  Believe it or not but I have yet to make a holiday card this year (not counting this post) and I've missed making the...