Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Apple Pie

Brasil does not do "pie".  Can you imagine a life without pie?  I can't.  LOL.  They have their own versions but they are more like German tarts.  But, Brasilians LOVE my apple pie.  The first time I gave a class here I made this pie.  Everyone in the class could not stop talking about it.  The next time, same thing.  Then people were asking me for the recipe. 

Then a new cafe opened in town.  Ruy and I went to check it out, met Katia, the owner, and we started to talk.  Turns out her brother lives in NY and she loves apple pie from America.  I told her I had this great recipe for pie.  Made it for her and she loved loved loved it.  So, after many months of promising to get her the recipe....I have finally found the time to get it down here on the blog with photos.  Katia - now go make some pie and show Cosmopolis which cafe rocks the best!!

Because I do not have the time to make a pie dough, I use a puff pastry dough, called Massa Folhada, that I get here in Brasil in a roll.  If you do not have this dough available, just use a basic pie dough for the pie.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
6 cups of apples (about 8 apples)

Step by step:

1.  Remove skin and core of apples and chop into small pieces.  Place in a larger bowl.

2.  Add, to the apples, the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Toss well to coat all the apples.

3.  Roll the Massa Folhada over the pie dish - see photo below.


4.  Place the apples into the dish and slice a few pieces of butter around the top.


5.  Cover the apples with the excess massa.  Cut small slits in the dough for the air to escape while baking.  Mix an egg with a little bit of water and brush over the top of the apple pie dough.  In a small bowl, mix a small amount of sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the egg wash. 




6.  Bake at 425F until the dough is golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool down a bit before serving.


Best served with a nice scoop of ice cream!! Enjoy and let me know what you think if you make this!

~Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafty Elves Countdown to Christmas - March 2023 - Christmas Fishes

  Hello everyone.  Believe it or not but I have yet to make a holiday card this year (not counting this post) and I've missed making the...